Now we’ve all had our fair share of horrifying first dates but in her latest movie, the gorgeous Katherine Heigl reminds us ever-critical girls that every man deserves another chance. Even if he did spend the night drinking cosmo’s and then forgot your name. Maybe not him actually… or that guy who was still obsessed with his ex. But you know what I mean.
Released on 08.10.10, Life As We Know it tells the tale of Holly Berenson who, after a disastrous first date, only has her love for goddaughter Sophie in common with Eric Messer (Josh Duhamel). However, when they suddenly become all Sophie has in the world, Holly and Messer are forced to put their differences aside. Juggling their career ambitions and competing social calendars, they have to find some common ground while living under one roof.
Now, you probably shouldn’t enter a first date anticipating that you’ll end up raising a child together, but you can certainly walk in feeling as attractive as Katherine Heigl and like you can deal with any curveball your potential new love interest may throw at you.
And yes, you know us well; get your outfit right and you’ll look good even if you spend the evening gazing at his mono brow, whilst considering joining a convent.
My top tips for first date dressing are:
1. Dress for your destination. You look H.O.T. in your LBD yes, but it’s not right if you’re meeting for a coffee.
2. Dress for your comfort and confidence. Don’t try breaking in your new 5-inch heels on your first meeting.
3. Remember that you’re testing him out as much as he is you. If you try too hard (legs AND cleavage; your prom dress v. his ripped jeans), he’ll push his luck and we don’t want that.
4. If you are a serial first-dater, concoct your default first date outfit. This means you won’t spend the run up to ‘The Date’ fretfully emailing your BF with outfit ideas. And it means you won’t be late because you were giving the dog a fashion show. Plus it means you won’t panic buy for the benefit of someone it wasn’t worth brushing your hair for.
I’m still at the stage in life where all first dates are conducted in that ever so original location: the pub; therefore, my key items are:
– Denim shorts with tights (more exciting than jeans; bare legs if it’s Summer)
– A blazer (if he’s ultra casual, take it off; if he’s in a suit (!) leave it on)
– Flats (because he’s usually shorter than hoped for)
– A tee (if it’s a nicer bar dress it up with some funky jewellery)
– My big handbag (it’s got something for every eventuality in it so I can’t be caught out)
With a bit of practice you can come up with your own first date outfit. Honestly, it’s life-changing when all you need to worry about is how to style your hair. Eeeek!
Life As We Know It hits the big screens from 08.10.10