My friend in our office at Very HQ, Alistair loves to bake. And I love the fact that he loves to bake! Everyone knows I have a sweet tooth and cakes are my absolute fave! Last week he brought us in some clotted cream and strawberry scones, this week it was a fantastic Jubilee sponge cake to get us in the mood for next weekend.
We have lots of ideas on how to celebrate the jubilee and if you’re planning on having a street party there are lots of jubilee themed products you can get at very.co.uk. From bunting and flags, to fancy dress you can find it all here.
Alistair’s kindly shared his ingredients with us if you fancy a go at making one yourself! (It really was yummy!!)
175 g unsalted butter
175 g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
175 g self-raising flour
3 tbsp strawberry jam
500 ml double cream
1. Set the oven to 180C/gas 4. Lightly butter two sandwich tins, each with a diameter of 20cm.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, and then slowly add the beaten egg.
3. Fold in the sifted flour and spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tins.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool and then remove from the tins.
5. Whip the cream until thick and use it to fill the sponge with the jam.
6. Dust liberally with icing sugar to serve.
Happy baking! x