A great capsule wardrobe should be like polygamous marriages – all your items mixing, matching and mingling with each other in fashion harmony! This is your dream wardrobe where every piece has a partner or five. When I worked on the TV show Gok’s Fashion Fix our capsule wardrobe had 24 items. I think I can edit that down a little for Very with a few basic rules.
1. Choose your base colours first, generally neutral, depending on your colouring and preferences. Black is safe and classic, brown is more earthy and bohemian, navy is very now. Start with a fitted jacket in this colour like the South Tipped Blazer and trousers or Miss Sixty Tommy Bootcut Jeans, a skirt and some simple separates. The Love Label Short Sleeve T-shirts (2 pack) in navy and white are perfect.
2. Add a lighter neutral of white, cream, nude or light grey. I’m going for the Savoir Pin Dot Blouse as it’s smart for work and will also look great with jeans.
3. Print is a major trend for SS12 and a print is essential as it will keep your capsule wardrobe interesting. The Fever Menorca Wrap Dress is super flattering and works for all body shapes. Or go for a skirt like the Fever Sunset Skirt or a patterned Lipsy Sunflower Sequin Top. Pick out the bright colours and now you have your highlight colours.
4. Choose some more separates in these highlight colours – simple t-shirts like the South Colour Block Woven Top, long sleeve tops, a South Lightweight Slub Cardigan, some Lipsy Red Denim Shorts, you know, strong block colours that will work with the other tops and bottoms.
5. Add a neutral belt like the French Connection Perspex Belt in blue and a highlight belt too. Do the same with scarves or necklaces, bangles, tights – whichever of these floats your fashion boat.
6. Go for shoes in a neutral colour like these Mel Fresh II Sandals or Love Label Sunny Cork Heel Court Shoes as they will go with everything in your capsule wardrobe. If you can afford to splash the cash then definitely go for something more high fashion in a highlight colour like the KG Jemima Sandal Wedges in red. Just gorgeous.
7. A neutral day bag like this Leather Mini Tassel Cross Body Bag in navy or red is perfect and will go with everything.
Et voilà. Your capsule wardrobe in 15 pieces. Beat that Auntie Gok!
Love Kirsty x